It’s the time of year for Yule Loaf! This is adapted from Recipe for a Small Planet’s Garbanzo Bean Loaf.
As I have said before, when choosing your holiday traditions, choose carefully. Although we only make this once a year, we make it every year.
The recipe in the cookbook is vegetarian, here I veganize it.
1/2 cup dried garbanzo beans (cook and drain) or use 1 1/2 cups canned
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cup chopped celery
3 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup fresh parsley
egg substitute equivalent to one egg
1 tablespoon miso (any-white/red/your choice)
1 teaspoon salt
dash of hot sauce
2 pinches cayenne pepper
1 cup vegan cheese (Swiss maybe or hot pepper)
1. Combine bread crumbs with pineapple juice, let soak.
2. Mash the beans but leave a few whole!
3. Saute onions and celery in the oil.
4. Dissolve miso in a very small amount of hot water, to make a thick slurry.
5. Combine rest of ingredients in order.
6. Turn into loaf pan and bake at 350 for 40 minutes until browned and firm.
I always quadruple this recipe for a large holiday meal so that we will have leftovers! I serve it on a bed of spinach leaves with Louisiana hot sauce along side of squash/pear soup. I hope this becomes a favorite in your home!
Serves: 3 to 4
Preparation time: 30 minutes