- Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
- The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
- I know of no reason
- Why the Gunpowder Treason
- Should ever be forgot.
- Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t’was his intent
- To blow up the King and Parli’ment.
- Three-score barrels of powder below
- To prove old England’s overthrow;
- By God’s providence he was catch’d (or by God’s mercy*)
- With a dark lantern and burning match.
- Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring. (Holla*)
- Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
- And what should we do with him? Burn him!
1 cup butter
1 and 1/3 cup molasses
1 and 1/3 cup rolled oats
2 cups flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. lemon rind
1 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the dry ingredients by sifting together. Melt the butter and gradually mix in the molasses. Adding the butter mixture, alternately with the milk, to the dry ingredients, combining everything until just moist. Pour into a greased 9×13 pan and bake for 30 – 35 minutes.
-adapted from WiccaCraft for Families by Margie McAthur